If you didn’t grow up in church, sometimes it’s hard to follow conversations or devotionals because they stem from some basic concepts you might not be familiar with. That’s OK! This is a little cheat sheet. If you are familiar with the basics, that’s awesome. It’s always good to refresh our minds about who we believe in and why.
NOTE: Sometimes I like to use the word “Believer” instead of “Christian”. It means the same thing and it doesn’t mean that one is right or the other is wrong. Just to keep from confusing anyone, know that if I use the word “Believer”, I mean someone who has accepted Jesus as their Savior and is living life with and for Him.
- God sent his son (Jesus) to die on the cross so that we can be saved from our sins and have everlasting life (go to Heaven).
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
- Being a “Believer” means you believe in God and believe that He sent His son (Jesus) to die on the cross to pay for your sins and rose from the dead.
- The only way to have a relationship with God is to accept Jesus into your heart
“Jesus said ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6
- “Accepting Jesus into your heart” means choosing to be a Believer, and telling God that you believe in Him and in what He has done for you. You can tell Him in a simple prayer, it doesn’t have to be complicated. God isn’t grading you on your words, all He cares about is that you believe in your heart.
“If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” Romans 10:9
(Example: “God, I believe that you sent Jesus to die on the cross for my sins so that I can have a relationship with you and have eternal life in Heaven. Thank you for doing that, I want a relationship with you and I want to follow you as best I can.”)
- Prayer is our way of talking to God.
- God wants a relationship with you